Wednesday, March 12, 2008

THE AFFAIR

My daughter thinks I am having an affair with an old man I met on the internet. ME, her prim and proper mother who has never had an affair in her entire 73 almost 74 years! And all because I asked for a picture of their dog. Am I so dully predictable that I can't make one simple request? When I originally asked for pictures of Harry, she asked why I wanted them and I said because I love Harry, which I do. She asked again, so I told her I wanted them for my blog. Oh, boy! Our conversation follows.
Elizabeth: How did you get a blog?
Me: It just sort of happened.
Elizabeth: Oh, my God, you're having an affair with some old man you met on the internet.
Me: Not exactly. I'm corresponding with an old man I've known for a long time and he set up a blog for me. We're not having an affair--he lives in California and here I am in Virginia.
David: Doesn't sound like much of an affair to me.
Elizabeth: Is he one of those people from your highschool?
(She went with me to the 50th reunion so she met "those people".)
Me: Yes.
Elizabeth: OK.
So I guess this means I have approval for a nonaffair. What I didn't tell her and she apparently hasn't noticed is that I automatically flirt with old men. Can't help myself. Discreetly, of course. Sometimes either so discreetly or so poorly that they don't notice either. Oh, well, I can always play my recording of I Ain't Got No Satisfaction.

No comments: